The History of RedFest

In 1953 the very first Strawberry Festival was held at the home of Bill Airey at Capalaba to raise funds for the Capalaba School of Arts hall. The festival was later revived in 1958 at the reserve at Victoria Point by local strawberry farmers who were experiencing a glut of produce.

The festival was moved to the Cleveland Show Grounds in 1965 to promote local strawberries and provide vital funds for local community groups and organisations.

In 2002, the committee elected to change the festival to the Redland Spring Festival to embrace the changes that were happening within the community.

During all these years the festival committee has organised a massive variety of events including the world famous strawberry eating competition, street parade, strawberry queens, strawberry ball, talent contests, rodeos, bicycle races, animal displays, side show alley, workshops, entertainment and heaps more.

The farmers and community groups who started the festival would be delighted, if not a little bit overwhelmed by the event they established all those years ago.

Share this article